Hepatic arterial mapping by multidetector computed tomographic angiography in living donor liver transplantation

Duran C., Uraz S., Kantarci M., Ozturk E., Doganay S., DAYANGAÇ M., ...More

Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, vol.33, no.4, pp.618-625, 2009 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 33 Issue: 4
  • Publication Date: 2009
  • Doi Number: 10.1097/rct.0b013e31818d814b
  • Journal Name: Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED), Scopus
  • Page Numbers: pp.618-625
  • Keywords: multidetector CTA, liver transplantation, hepatic artery, variation
  • Istanbul Medipol University Affiliated: Yes


Purpose:: Our aims were to present the hepatic arterial variations that were detected with computed tomographic angiography (CTA) and confirmed by operation in living liver donors and to emphasize the usefulness of CTA in the assessment of hepatic arterial anatomy. Materials and Methods:: The donors of 100 patients (46 women and 54 men) who had undergone a living donor liver transplantation in a (blinded) hospital between July 2004 and June 2007 were evaluated. The age of the donors ranged from 18 to 63 years (mean, 39 years). The CTA images obtained by a 16-slice multidetector CT before the transplantation procedure were retrospectively evaluated for arterial variations, and the results were compared with the results of the operation. Results:: In 59 donors (59%), classic hepatic arterial anatomy was observed. In the remaining 41 donors (41%), various arterial variations were determined. In 11 of the donors (11%), variations were not compatible with the description of Michel's classification. In all of our patients, CTA findings were confirmed with operational findings. Our complication rate was 1%. Only 1 of the patients who had undergone the transplantation developed hepatic arterial thrombus, and the remaining 99 patients had no arterial complications. Conclusions:: The course of the vascular structures before live donor liver transplantation is essential for planning and success of the operation. Our study showed that multidetector CTA can be used successfully in hepatic artery imaging of liver transplantation donors as a noninvasive method. © 2009 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.